Thursday, November 4, 2010

Costco, a stuck wheel and my Bag of Fruit Medley

I recently took a trip to Costco...okay, so I am a regular there...who is keeping track anyway? It was a windy and rainy Monday and I was kind of pressed for time as my 'to do' list looked like Santa's naughty/nice list. I was kind of in a hurry because of the cold water falling from the sky when I reached the friendliest greeter in the world. Her name was Anna and her smile was as wide and white as the crescent moon. She said cheerily, "Hi and welcome to Costco...do you have your membership card?" It was at that moment I reached for my card only to realize that I had left my wallet in the truck. I told her of my plight and she turned that white smile upside down into a frown and said, "Well, you'll just have to hustle back out there and get it." I shook my head and muttered something like, "Heaven is easier to get into than Costco..." Really, salvation is more easily attained than a Costco card...thank you, Lord, for your son Jesus and His work on the cross.

Now that I am back to the door, Anna, greets me like it was my first time and she had the worst case of short term memory loss on God's green Earth. The same conversation takes place but this time...sopping wet...I show her my card that allows me through the pearly aluminum door of Costco. I am finally just getting over my faux pas and grab a buggy to do some Costcoing!

Televisions, Blu Ray players, Computers, Cameras, Clothes...all inundate my senses. I think to myself...I hope there are samples today...

As I am pushing my buggy, one of the wheels gets stuck and starts making that awful sound of a wheel not doing what God intended it to do...you know, TURN...

It was then I realized, I should probably head over to the bedding area and just take a nap. However, I felt the spirit of NASCAR Pit Crew member come over me and decided to flip the buggy and work on the wheel right there. I had to unstick the wheel. I couldn't just let it go. Even some 'Associates' admired my initiative in executing a shopping cart pit stop. Finally, after borrowing a box cutter from one of the paid admirers, I was able to free the wheel and let it going back to doing what it was created for...rolling! Which is what I needed to do in order to get the kids picked up from school on time. Sometimes, I have to admit, in my spiritual life I feel like that wheel sometimes. We were created to have fellowship with God yet so many times I feel stuck in my spiritual growth, prayer life, study life, personal life. Sometimes, I need God to do a little pit stop on me to get me unstuck. He does this through a book, a blog, a friend, an overheard conversation, a phone call...really, any number of ways...I just have to be willing to have my life flipped upside down in any place...even the aisle of Costco if need be.

Back to Costco.

I am steering down the aisle with all the agility in the world and some of the best defensive buggy driving known to mankind. I am grabbing samples left and right not even hesitating to hear the worker's spill about why I need to buy this product. I was hungry and in a hurry. That is when I saw it...a 2.5 pound bag of Fruit Medley. I love fruit. I love medley. What could be better than a huge back of both...and it all mixed up?

I grabbed one and considered two. I couldn't wait to pay and get back to the truck, rain or not. I unpacked and literally threw everything into my truck as quickly as I could. I ripped open the fruit medley and promptly ate some kiwi, strawberries, raisins, walnuts, mango, pineapple and of course, bananas. It was my little piece of heaven. Each piece of fruit different flavors, different sizes, difference thicknesses...it was AWESOME!

Recently, I took that bag of fruit medley to the deer blind with me. It was so great to sit there and watch deer and eat fruit medley. I began to think of all the people that I have crossed paths with in my life. Those friends are a lot like that bag of fruit medley. Different backgrounds, different personalities, different thicknesses...okay, sorry...

But I began to think...God created each of us for a purpose. For His purpose. He also created us to produce fruit...it just so happens that all of us that are followers of Christ are a part of His big bag of Fruit Medley. I must admit...I am glad I am in that bag. If you aren't, I want you to seriously consider Christ.

Romans 5:8 says that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

I love that! It is because of that verse that we don't have to have a Costco card to get into Heaven. Our wheels (lives) are freed to become whe He wants them to become and we are a part of the Heaven Fruit Medley (different flavors and sometimes mixed up). Nonetheless, God loves you and I am truly glad that He place each of you in my life at one time or another.

1 comment:

Paul Burke said...

whoa! quite an adventure! love the pace of the story!