Sunday, February 27, 2011

Radical Review of David Platt's Radical

I had listened to all the hype about this new book on the market called Radical by David Platt. I mean, this book is on the New York Times Bestseller list so there must be something to it...right? I picked this book up for a trade out...I said I would write a review on my blog and they would give me the book for free. Its a done deal! So, with that, here we go...

From the very outset of the book...Chapter 1...I kind of had a biased slant on the book. I know that I am not going to be a very popular review on this book because the way I felt after reading this first chapter was this. I felt guilty for being born in America. There, I said it. I mean, for some reason, I felt it was my fault that God put me here as a son to my parents. America, one of the wealthiest countries in the world and I felt it was my fault.

The author goes on to make his case for worldwide poverty and the church of excess in America goes on like nothing is more important than their need of a new lighting and smoke system for their Sunday "Worship Experiences". While there are parts of this book that I really and wholeheartedly agree with, the more I read, the more of the social justice agenda seemed to be pushed in the first half of the book. I thought that, what seemed to be this type of agenda, was okay to address but I was really beaten down by it. While my family supports organizations that help orphans, widows and different people groups all over the world...it was almost like this wasn't enough. I mean, it was almost to the point of selling my kids, my home and assets in order to give the money I get from their sale to some person in India that has nothing.

As the book progressed, for me, it got better. I really felt the author hit his stride at Chapter 5. I am a big believer in missions work. I also know the value of going to a setting that is not your normal comfort zone. It stretches you! It beckons you! It changes you! I will never forget my first missions trip to Honduras in 1995 with a Missionary named Randy Bardwell. It radically changed my worldview.

The last thing I want to address is the year long challenge. The author give us 5 areas in which he challenges us to make a long-term commitment...this is outstanding!

1. Pray for the entire world. Get an aid such as OperationWorld and literally begin praying for everywhere around the world in this one year. You’ll be amazed, he says, at the way prayer opens our hearts and minds. Jesus asked his disciples to pray not for the poor and the sick, but for the people who would go to them. He wants us to pray for people to go to the countries you will learn about. Great family project.

2. Read through the entire Bible in one year. “We have settled for far too long for “Bible lite,” both as individual Christians and in the community of faith. We have adopted a Christianity consumed with little devotional thoughts form God for the day…” Imagine the power of praying around the world and reading the Word for an entire year! Do you think you would be transformed at the end of that year?

3. Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose. Pick a concrete project and devote every dollar you can to it for one year. Set a cap on your lifestyle for this one year and get involved with changing your world personally through your giving.

4. Spend your time in another context. This is the one we’re all afraid of, isn’t it. Go. We have to change our context and go. He suggests that if we could just give 2% of our time (roughly one week) to changing our context and bringing the Gospel to the world, it would revolutionize the other 98% of our time.

5. Commit your life to multiplying community. Find a place within your body of believers to make disciples and support each other. “If the radical, simple living we see Jesus talking about were more common in the church, it would be much easier for us to live simply as well…give liberally, go urgently and live dangerously together.”

Overall, this book was like a rollercoaster ride for me. There were points I agreed with, disagreed with, struggled through and breezed through. I am a proponent of reading things that are from different points of view than what I embrace. While they aren't always the easiest things to read and sometimes I struggle through them...they help me to grow spiritually. I would recommend this book as a read to others. I would also venture to say that this author, David Platt, might be faced with a call to missions versus pastoring a mega church in the States. Whatever his future may hold...keep challenging your faith and ours.

1 comment:

newsouthernpantry said...

We do forget at times how easy we have life in the US. I think I will go see if our library has a copy. Where did the profits from his book sales go? Did he use those in World Outreach? That would be an interesting thing to know