Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Holy Spirit and "Unisex" Clothing

I know you are probably wondering about the title...pretty catchy huh? I hate to admit this, but after finding that my predominate spiritual gift is the gift of putting my foot in my mouth...not sure on the Scripture reference. Anyway, the whole 'unisex' clothing, cologne, names and pretty much whatever else you can think of, really is not a good thing for people like me.

A few months back, I went back to my hometown to visit. We were out and about and I ran into a friend that I attended High School with. After making the courteous restaurant table visit and catch up that is so much expected in the Deep South, the conversation turned to what we are doing now and how many kids we have. I, being the excellent father that I am, had a picture of my 2 kids(that was BK...before Katie). Then my friend announced that she had just had a child and just so happened to have the baby in the car seat on the floor beside her. This is when business picked up. I could feel it...my spiritual gift welling up inside and about to be exposed to the world.

The proud mother grabbe the handle of the car carrier and showed me her most cherished newborn. Now, to be fair to me, all newborns look alike! All of the them are kind of crinkly, red and slobbery. What sets some apart is that some have more hair than others. I know what you are thinking..."You didn't tell her she had an ugly baby." No, that was a different lady. Anyway, one of the first things I noticed was the UNISEX color of the carseat, the UNISEX color of the baby's blanket and matching beanie. So, what do I do now? No clues yet as to if it is a boy or girl. So, I reach in and kind of pull the blanket down to get a peek of the baby's clothes...guess what...the color is ambiguous. I have no clue what I am looking at other than it is a baby and a proud momma.

So, here comes the moment my spiritual gift is getting closer to public demonstration. I ask, "What is the baby's name?" The mom said, "We name the baby Terri/Terry. I know both men and women named Terri/Terry. Come on God, I need some help here...throw me a bone! So, I said to my friend and proud mother, "It sure is cute!" That was the moment you have been waiting for.

My friend, was incredibly upset at my choice of pronoun I used to describe her baby. She said idignantly, "IT! I will have you know that you do not need to call my DAUGHTER...IT."

So, I did what any good person would do...I tried to explain myself. However, I soon realized that you can't explain your way out of this type of thing and what was intended to be a very cordial moment with an old friend that I had not seen in years was now victim to me in all my glory. So, I apologized and quietly walked to my table with those in my party just shaking their heads in disbelief as to what happened. I even think I heard a random "Bless his heart" by some onlookers like they were on the midway watching the maneating chicken.

Then I thought, what if God has the same reaction to us when we call the Holy Spirit it. I wonder if He just shakes His head and looks at Jesus and says, "These people, they just do understand who He is."

The Holy Spirit wants to have a relationship with us, counsel us, give us divine wisdom, protect us and give us supernatural love, joy and peace. We just don't know what we have in the third person in the Trinity.

So, with that, pursue a relationship with the Holy Spirit...He will change everything.

1 comment:

Jeff Ables said...

Good post Tommy. (Or is it Tommie? I have friends - both male and female named Tommy/Tommie!) I hear many people refer to the Holy Spirit as "it" and that always bothers me! He is a person and I don't ever want to offend Him! I so desperately need Him in my life!